Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Location, Location, Location...

Re: Point system misunderstanding...

From: Jerry McVicker <gmcvicke@w...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:28:16 -0400
Subject: Re: Point system misunderstanding...

At 03:12 PM 5/28/97 -0700, you wrote:

>ok guys, hang on a second. We all agree on a few things here:
>
>1: Stargrunt is a good game
>2: 40k has a shitty point system
>
>some people want to give stargrunt a point system, which seems to have
>caused others to think that it will get 40k's point system, which is
>mathematically wrong.
>
>40k's system is a bad one. a weapons value has nothing to do with it's
>accuracy, which is logically bad. A weapon is worth different amounts
>different races, which makes for an uneven system.
>
>I'd suggest taking a step back. not all point systems are logically and
>mathematically rediculous. I've always held the theory that GW makes
the
>numbers up off the top of their heads, and it seems to hold to reality
>pretty well.
>
>Games with decent point systems are out there. a well written point
system
>is never gospel, but is a suggestion. Just like when you tell a gamer
"a
>Nue Suabian Powered Infantry section is about equal to an Old Suabian
>armored column when they're both in rough terrain", a good point system
is
>a suggestion. obviously, the two above forces are not totally equal,
but
>the suggestion is valid nonetheless.
>
>and now that I've said that dreaded word "equal", let me explain. two
>equal forces do not have to be equal power, points, or size. give me a
>single squad, give him an entire army, just make sure I've got cover
and a
>mission that doesn't require me to try and kill everyone in his army
>(like, carry this package, kill the general, eliminate heavy weapon
>troopers #3,4,and 5). as long as the game is winnable by either side,
the
>forces are "equal" in my mind.
>
>I'd suggest taking a look at Legions of Steel. The point system is not
>perfect, it has flaws. what it IS, however, is a good round number that
>represents to a good degree the "power" of the unit. with playing time
you
>start to see where it does not reflect the biases of the units (frex,
my
>Stormtroopers do very well in very tight terrain and become worth more
>"points") and compensate for that. You get a feel for the units, but
that
>doesn't completely invalidate the point system
>
>remember, point system does not equal 40k. it equals Legions of Steel
;-)

>Brian Lojeck
>lojeck@mizar.usc.edu
>Entertainment Technology Center

This may seem simple Brian, but exactly how much better is a veteran
powered
armor trooper against a green reserve infantry?   What if the leadership
levels change?	I don't see how it can be done...I will post a scenerio
and
background I've written within 24 hrs.	You guys try it out.  No points
will
be involved.  I shall return!!

Jerry McVicker

"Don't worry soldier, weapons will be available in a moment."

Blackwind and Raddix Gaming
http://www.imagixx.net/~bnrgames
bnrgames@imagixx.net

Prev: Re: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: Location, Location, Location...