Prev: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: [OFFICIAL]Re: Future Wars Mini's

Point system misunderstanding...

From: Brian Lojeck <lojeck@r...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 18:12:53 -0400
Subject: Point system misunderstanding...

ok guys, hang on a second. We all agree on a few things here:

1: Stargrunt is a good game
2: 40k has a shitty point system

some people want to give stargrunt a point system, which seems to have
caused others to think that it will get 40k's point system, which is
mathematically wrong.

40k's system is a bad one. a weapons value has nothing to do with it's
accuracy, which is logically bad. A weapon is worth different amounts to
different races, which makes for an uneven system.

I'd suggest taking a step back. not all point systems are logically and
mathematically rediculous. I've always held the theory that GW makes the
numbers up off the top of their heads, and it seems to hold to reality
pretty well.

Games with decent point systems are out there. a well written point
system
is never gospel, but is a suggestion. Just like when you tell a gamer "a
Nue Suabian Powered Infantry section is about equal to an Old Suabian
armored column when they're both in rough terrain", a good point system
is
a suggestion. obviously, the two above forces are not totally equal, but
the suggestion is valid nonetheless.

and now that I've said that dreaded word "equal", let me explain. two
equal forces do not have to be equal power, points, or size. give me a
single squad, give him an entire army, just make sure I've got cover and
mission that doesn't require me to try and kill everyone in his army
(like, carry this package, kill the general, eliminate heavy weapon
troopers #3,4,and 5). as long as the game is winnable by either side,
the
forces are "equal" in my mind.

I'd suggest taking a look at Legions of Steel. The point system is not
perfect, it has flaws. what it IS, however, is a good round number that
represents to a good degree the "power" of the unit. with playing time
you
start to see where it does not reflect the biases of the units (frex, my
Stormtroopers do very well in very tight terrain and become worth more
"points") and compensate for that. You get a feel for the units, but
that
doesn't completely invalidate the point system

remember, point system does not equal 40k. it equals Legions of Steel
;-)

Brian Lojeck
lojeck@mizar.usc.edu
Entertainment Technology Center

Prev: Location, Location, Location... Next: Re: [OFFICIAL]Re: Future Wars Mini's