Prev: Re: Star Grunts Point System <HOW ABOUT WE KILL THIS THREAD> Next: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

From: "Donald A. Chipman III" <tre@i...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:20:39 -0400
Subject: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

At 04:11 PM 5/27/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I have upgraded to Delphi 3.0 this weekend and In the middle of
Converting
>my JAVA Builder <which no one has ever seen, sorry> into native 32-Bit
>Windows Code.	If you have any wish list ideas for this, please let me
>know, i'm planning on having a beta available for test no later then
next
>weekend.  A URL to the site will be made available for Download at that
>time.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm all for Stuart's Win95/NT app.
Come on guys; Stuart doesn't HAVE to make a ship designer at all, and
it's
really not anyone's place to dictate the format in which he chooses to
code
out of the goodness of his heart (of course, this is easy for me to say
since I have a Wintel system).	  Perhaps, Stuart, you could make the
source code available to assist others in porting it to other platforms?

That being said, if you're still taking suggestions, what I would like
see is:

* A graphic output for the completed ship, in BMP or GIF (GIFs are more
web
friendly, but I could use the BMPs in my VB4.0 apps).  This was
originally
Eric Fialkowski's suggestion, but it's important enough to bear
repeating.

* A seperate, editable weapon/equipment database so that different
components can be changed to accomodate house rules and new equipment.
What would be great is if these could be given different names, so I
could
draw from different databases for different campaigns or races.

* An output of ships to database that could be incorporated into other
programs.

That's really about all I would want out of a ship design program.

Thanks,

Tre