Prev: Re: FT III Wishlist Next: Re: SGII Point Systems and Scenarios

Re: FT Armor

From: "Mike Wikan" <mww@n...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 07:06:13 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Armor

Well it's kind of apples and oranges. Weight on the shuttle is at a
premium because you have to lob it out of the Earth's gravity well.
That same chip would just nick a 6" plate of Chobham Delta armor off
of an M1A2 Abrams. There are new polycarbonate/polyalloy armors that
make a mockery of even this in the U.S. DoD pipeline. I think that it
is reasonable to assume effective armors combined with structural
redundancy that could be effective in spatial warfare. For instance,
a Soviet designed/Iraqi T80 used by the Iraqis during the Gulf War
hit the forward Glacis plate of an M1A2 at a range of under a
kilometer (a 122mm APFSDS round) and it just bounced off..
An APFSDS round (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot)
Travels about 5200 fps. The round is several Kilos in weight and made
of depleted uranium- a very dense metal that also burns when it hits
due to the collapsing Uranium penetrator, causing secondary explosive
effect....
Once weight is a secondary consideration, I think that armoring
is VERY plausible...
Gotta love technology, man...;-)

Mike Wikan
Game Design\Conceptual Art
n-Space, Inc.
A Producer of 3D Entertainment Products

Prev: Re: FT III Wishlist Next: Re: SGII Point Systems and Scenarios