Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: FT III Wishlist

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 02:49:39 -0400
Subject: Re: FT III Wishlist

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Tony Wilkinson wrote:
> >2. SIX FIRING ARCS
>
> Why 6 fire arcs?

I like four. Maybe a tighter "fixed forward" arc for some weapons (but
NOT the "straight ahead only"), but four is fine most of the time.
Straight angles are easy to eyeball.

> matter how well armoured a ship is. Adding additional damage boxes is
> probably the easiest way to handle armour.

Agreed.

>	  Another idea might be to allow partial armouring. For an extra
20
> points say, a ship can armour a number of systems (escorts-1,
crusiers-2,
> capitals-3). The armoured systemm adds no extra mass but allows that
system
> to ignore it's first threshold roll.

That actually follows real warship armoring better than any "overall"
armor score. Though I would give it mass. Say:

Internal armor: 20 pts/ 1 mass
Internal armor can cover any number of components. When any of the
covered components fail a threshold check (or are hit with a needle
attack), lose the armor instead. Only one armor section can cover each
system. Armor does not help against EMP attacks.

Why "any number of systems"? Because the more stuff you put in it, the
more likely it is to trade the armor for something less important, like
single PDAF. You *can* use it to soak the first failed threshold, but
the
payoff is probably better if you limit the armor to the components you
really can't afford to lose.

The number of armor sections needs to be limited, or Screen-3 ships
cover
their generators with a ton of armor and stay nearly invulnerable for
much longer.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.