Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 :Scenario design (was ... comes together) Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

From: "Matt" <maffu@d...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 01:32:11 -0400
Subject: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

> Mark wrote:
> <<
>   While reading the posts regarding what some of us would like to
>  see in the upcoming Third Edtion of FT, I remembered that there was
>  one thing I wanted to see changed.  I have always liked the idea of
>  simultaneouus fire rather than the current system.  The current
>  system leads to"me too" firing which is rather annoying when you
>  think about it.  IMHO all fire from offensive weapons must recorded
>  and executed like movement orders.  It will make the players
>  "think" rather than "react" and plan their tactics instead of just
>  working along the lines of "Oh, he shot at me, now I can shoot
>  back!"
>   Any comments.   >>
> I began to play full thrust because of the simplicity and small
> amount of record keeping. If it is to be required to record firing
> orders you should be able to declare opportunity fire with a -1
> penalty for a snap shot, to duplicate a quick response to enemy
> fire. Brian

	I feel that the standing fire system should be left just as it
is,
as tactics are indeed the call of the day there.  When both sides
fire at the same time and record no damage until the end of the turn
then the game because little more than a slugging match, and the only
tactics involved are the initial manuvers of the ships before they
close to unleash their firepower.
	Forcing each side to only fire one ship and then the other side
'respond' makes each opponent think.  "Do I want to fire my BB at
that missile cruiser, who could cripple my BB?	Or do I want to let
my CC get a final volley with nearly all guns off at the enemy
dreadnought before it's destroyed this turn..."
	It forces tactics even in chosing your targets, and in my
oppinion
is well worth the 'slowdown' of the game.  Cut out the tactics
firing, and you are left with one sure rule in FTIII.  The fleet with
the most firepower wins, every time.

		     For every man, there is but one
		     true love in his life.  His
		     only task, is to recognize it,
		     and cherish it for all time.

			     Matt Rawlings

Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 :Scenario design (was ... comes together) Next: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.