Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 01:24:47 -0400
Subject: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Glover, Owen wrote:

> IMHO the concerns about points systems should not be that great.
Unless
> one is involved in a tournament then the game should run along
scenario
> lines devised by a third party.

I just wonder where do you get this third party and how does he know
what
figures you can field?

> In reality any contact/firefight will never be "balanced". At the
level
> of SGII (Company/Squadron) the forces involved would never give a
> definite outcome if facing off on equal sizes ie Coy vs Coy. Most
likely
> outcome is going to be both sides withdraw or a Pyhrric victory.

Having a points system in no way means you must have equal forces.

> For an assault situation most modern armies operate on odds of
(MINIMUM)
> 3 to 1. And if you are facing a dug in well sited defensive position
you
> better hope for plenty of armour or engineer and arty as well!!

And without points, how do you judge the relative strengths? A single
Predator(tm) will beat three average grunts (Arnie isn't an average
grunt) every time, to give an extreme example.

Do you run the scenario through a computer simulation?
Do you playtest it a few hundred times?
OR do you just use the ancient art of guesstimation?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together.