Prev: Re: Sand Next: Blackwind and Raddix?

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: "You're an annoying bunch...but you're cute." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 14:15:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

I've been offline for almost a week, and jiminies y'all are a busy
bunch!
I thought about just letting this all be, what with all the other base
talk going on, but I figured Mikko'd think I was weaseling out on
replying. ;)

>> 4) Construct scenarios which prevent certain tactics (aforementioned
>>    missiles/momentum-based weapon usage)
>
>I'd like to hear how you would go about this, apart from the old "you
>just can't do that" approach. No, I'm really curious. Can you think of
>logical explanation that would bring a "pick your ships, pick your
>approach" style "destroy the base" scenario within the range of the
>base's guns?

If you want to open the 'pick your ships, etc' up to your players,
that'll
put you where you don't want to be. My reply here was to construct
scenarios
in which certain tactics are not available. This means you cannot do the
'pick your ships, approach, etc' methods. When I construct a scenario, I
outline what is available and what is restricted, and what isn't around.

Example: about a year ago I ran a Narn-Centauri base attack scenario. I
designed the ships for both sides, set up the basic positions,
distributed
the forces to the players...and let them loose! Details you can pick up
at:

   http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~indy/full-thrust/recent-game.html

Anyway, the point here being I constructed a scenario in which certain
tactics
(your swarming of missiles point) are not, could not be used. No one
complained
that they couldn't do or perform certain tactics or use certain weapons
(oh,
there was some good-natured grumbling about 'gee, wouldn't it be nice if
had a...', but nothing serious).

If this isn't your bag of candy, to restrict things so 'tightly', then
you
can *still* construct a scenario with the 'free-use' idea ('free-use'
meaning
you can use anything in the rules you want). You then should place
certain
restrictions on things so they are not abused. Your missiles, for
example.
If you want your players to have XXXX pts available to construct ships
of
their own designs, with whatever weapons they want, fine. Then tell them
they cannot have more then X number of missiles. Why? Because there
aren't
that many around in the Empire (or what have you) to allocate fully to
this
little campaign. They're not an unlimited supply, and the best that can
be
scrounged up are X number of missiles. Maybe this smacks to you of the
'you
just can't do that' routine, but I think it's quite reasonable. You have
given a valid reason why 'they' cannot have more than X something or
others
and it would fit easily into an overall campaign.

Well, I think it would fit easily into one. YMMV.

If you're playing with people who *insist* that if it's in the rulesbook
they can have as many as they want up to their maximum point spread...I
can't help you there. Mount nova cannons in response, I guess.	;-)

Mk
-
All that is gold does not glitter,
     all those who wander are not lost.

http://www.bcpl.lib.md.us/~indy/index.html

Prev: Re: Sand Next: Blackwind and Raddix?