Prev: Re: Missile Defense for stations Next: Weber Book

Re: Fuel, Ramjets, and the Darwin Awards (was Re: in 'defense' of FT missiles... ;-) )

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:53:50 -0400
Subject: Re: Fuel, Ramjets, and the Darwin Awards (was Re: in 'defense' of FT missiles... ;-) )

Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

>   This is pretty much the same idea as a solar sail.	I think there
> is an advantage in that the solar wind has more energy than the
> photons coming from the sun, so you can move faster.	On the other
> hand, you have to power the magnetic sail.  It might be possible to do
> that with a big solar panel, though.
>
> -joachim

Ok.  I found the artical.

Analog magazine May 1992

Science Fact artical: The magnetic sail by Robert M. Zubrin

Pages 58 - 75

This artical is filled with formulas (most seem like greek to me!)  It
talks about how the sail would keep running once it was charged up.
Using the latest Superconducting materials, the wire would have an
operating temperature higher than that found in space.	So it would not
loose its charge until it was turned off (ie discharged it).

The wire sail has a much smaller surface area than a light sail, and
much less mass.  The light sail would be extreamly vulnerable to
micrometeorites.

This shows how a pre-ftl civilization could spread through their home
system in a short time.  I like being able to backup my future
civilizations with real science.  Gives em that extra bit of realizem.

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: Missile Defense for stations Next: Weber Book