Prev: Re: Missile Defense for stations Next: ECM and FT

Re: Sand

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 06:09:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Sand

On Tue, 13 May 1997, David Brewer wrote:

> Presumably, since energy is energy, mass is mass and delta-vee is
> delta-vee; it isn't going to take any more energy to keep the
> crystals with you as you accelerate if they're outside or inside
> your ship.

Except for the power required to keep them with your acceleration.
While they're in, your structural integrity does that job for you.
While they're out, you need an emag field or something to keep them with

your course changes.

In the latter case, the emag field is the force that keeps your system a
system. For the acceleration force to affect the sand, the field must be
able to exert a force sufficient for equal acceleration. The higher the
acceleration, the more power maintaining the field drains.

E.g. place your coffee mug on top of a sheet of paper. Pull the paper
slowly. The mug should follow. Now pull it sharply. Oh, did I mention to

do this with an empty mug? Anyway, the mug's position relative to the
paper should be different. Because you just exceeded the limits of the
force keeping the system together -- friction.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Missile Defense for stations Next: ECM and FT