Prev: Re: Campaign Economics--Real Deal Next: Another Stargrunt question

Re: Arms Race

From: kj@p... (Karl G. Johnson)
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 23:37:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Arms Race

>Certainly an arms race is realistic, if you're portraying the passing
of
>time in a game world. If you want that, you can assign existing
equipment
>tech levels or something.

Quoting from my conversion rules for my campaign system below. Maybe
this
can be used as a starting point for the above:

All listed Systems are available to players at start (assuming a
starting TL of
one):
·	Class A, B, and C Batteries
·	 Level One Screens
·	Fighters (basic rules)
·	PDAF
·	ADAF
·	FireCon
·	Submunition Packs
·	Mines/Minesweepers
·	Passive/Active Sensors (basic rules)
·	Normal Missiles
·	DCP
·	Individual ECM systems
·	Orbital Bombardment

 Each FT weapon not listed
here counts as 1/2 of a TL benefit except as detailed below (in other
words, if
you decide to upgrade only tactical weapon systems, you could choose
four non-
listed systems instead of just two upon reaching TL 2).

Other Restrictions
A. Screens
Player must have/choose level Two Screens before choosing Level 3
Screens.
B. Reflex Field
Counts as a full TL benefit and may not be chosen unless the player has
Level 3
Screen Technology available.
C. Sensors
Players must have/choose Enhanced Sensors before choosing Superior
Sensors.
D. Cloaking
Counts as a full TL benefit. Players must have Superior Sensors before
choosing
Cloaking.
E. Nova Cannon
Counts as a full TL benefit and may only be chosen if the Wave Gun was
chosen
previously.
F. Fighters
Each type of Advanced/Specialized fighter is chosen separately - they do
not
come as a package.

Depending on the time scale of your campaign setting, you could assign a
cumulative % chance of increasing Tech Levels by turn (for a 1 week/turn
game, I'd suggest a 3% chance per turn, percentage die roll equal to or
less
than current % chance).

Provisions could also be made for using only vanilla ships for the first
'x'
number of turns, introducing player designs at randomized intervals.

KJ
"War is too important to be left to the politicians."
   - Col. Jack D. Ripper, Dr. Strangelove

Prev: Re: Campaign Economics--Real Deal Next: Another Stargrunt question