Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Postings and Manners

Re: when do fighters move

From: nezach@t... (Wendy and Ndege Diamond)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:25:13 -0400
Subject: Re: when do fighters move

----------
From: Sandy Goh <sandy@artica1.demon.co.uk>
To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 6:04 PM

On Tue, 6 May 1997 00:40:22 -0600, you wrote:

>Be nice if there was some sort of "datalink" that let you fire 2 or
>more ships simultaneously, like Starfire (which is quite a good game).
>I suspect datalink would be a special type of FireCon. Datalink
>FireCon perhaps. Ships with synchronised datalink firecons could fire
>together, but you couldn't put more than 2-4 ships in the system and
>you would have to predesignate the groups. Would make taking out those
>awful level-3 screen ships easier (wreck cruisers too). I'll leave
>someone else to work out the stats.

>I have been thinking about a ship system that would be kinda like what
you
>are talking about.  I have been calling it the SpWACS ("spaywacks").

I would prefer SWAC but it may remind too many folks here of SFB. I
don't have a problem with that but there are some real weird guys out
there...

I won't be hurt if you call it a SWAC.	I just wanted to differentate it
from other systems out there.  Plus SWAC remindes me of the sound of
rolled
up newspaper
hitting a fly on the wall ("Swack! Swack! Take that! Swack!")

If the SWAC is just a distributed firecon, then why is it limited to
one type of weapon? A normal (non distributed) firecon can control
both pulse torps and beam batteries.

I was thinking that it would be easier and more game balanced for the
system to require the ships it is targeting for to use the same weapon
systems.  Even more so if they can all simultanously fire...  It is
correlating firing solutions for several different ships at different
angles of attack after all.  But ,as you point out, it *is* a FireCon so
it
could just follow normal FireCon rules.  I will have to test it both
ways..
 But feel free to do it however you like ;).

>My main insperation (other than the AWACS) was the Imperial
Constellation
>targetting ships from Space Fleet.  That is what I invision a SpWACS
ship
>looking like (covered with sensor domes and various other targiting
>apparatus)

It's OK but the constellation targeting ship and the castellan shield
ship were quite badly broken from a game mechanics point of view.

<shudder> GW game mechanics <shudder>  I was thinking of the miniture
rather
than any sort of so called rules from GW.

Enjoy,
	Nezach

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Postings and Manners