Prev: Re: Hitting planets with comets Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 05:35:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Gary Ballard wrote:

> No, I do not want to see the points calculations. I've played with
> people who can do points calculations for this vs that for all the
games
> we play, and as a result of their over-cheesing forces, I don't play
> with them anymore.

Believe it or not, I do this in practice so no one could do it to *me*
in
a real game. It takes one to catch one...

You see, if I set up a game and people arrive with radically different
ideas of what's good form, problems may very well ensue. I'm not blaming

anyone (yet), people just have very different ideas how the game should
run.

At the least, I spend an evening with a bad game. And if I stop playing
with these fellows as you suggest, I'd soon be left without no one to
play
with. As I think I might have told, I think the entire active FT player
base in Finland numbers under ten -- and I already play with half of
them.

I'm a bit peeved with all these suggestions of not playing with people
who
don't share your vision (and I hear it a lot). It's easy to say when you
live in an English speaking country, in a big city and go to a
university
that has a gaming club with hundreds of members. My only other choice is
not to play until GZG publishes solitaire rules. Or start playing Magic
;-)

Having said that, I really haven't met a truly evil abusive player. I've

met a couple of idiots and quite a few people who had a different
picture
of the game than I did, but no true käsemeisters. Ok, so it's not that
large a sample, but I did head the national association of roleplayers
for four years.

Thus I believe 80% of the "problems" can be solved by finding the
loopholes before actual play and putting them down on paper with an
agreement not to exploit them.

> If you want to play with bases and you are worried
> that missle boats will ruin the game, restrict said base games to
allow
> the base to survive long enough to make it a fun game.

Can you suggest how to do it in a campaign? "Sorry, you can't bring your

missile boats"?

> suggestion about a new defense, i.e. the sandcaster(least I think it
> did, there have been so many messages, I'm no longer sure).

The problem with the sandcaster I had was that it was meant to be a
defense, but it really was a super-poweful offense.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Hitting planets with comets Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII