Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 03:54:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Chun Wang wrote:

>	*SIGH* Space stations are neccesarry not as an offence weapon,
but
> it real purpose should be repair and build ships. It's much effective
> build a ship in space then on the planet side.

*SIGH* So what's wrong in giving them some chance to DEFEND themselves?

>	So... let's apply what you said to planets... Mmmm... planet
cannot
> move... so we track a hugh asteriod to drop on the planets.... we
should
> get the same effect as nuclear winter or ice age on earth(If I am
wrong
> feel free to correct me.). Therefor, planet is not really defendable
> either...

No, it isn't. But it's far easier to justify not destroying a planet
than
a smallish military base. Or even a civilian one... remember Dresden!

>(I think some body else mentioned drop a hugh rock on planets
> too.)

Wonder of wonders! Who could it be? Me. I did. And some other people
too,
to be truthful.

>	The point I want to make is, if you REALLY want to destroy
something
> badly, YOU CAN!!! The problem is why, and what benefit do you gain? In

> case of droping a asteroid on a planet, you will almost render the
planet
> inhabitable. Congratulation you gain a rock that is usless to you. In
> case of dead space station, you cannot repair your ship with enemy's
> equitment. I just think destroy a space station wouldn't benefit as
much
> as capture it.

By the same logic, why do you destroy enemy ships? Why don't you
just board and capture them?

It would be really neat, IF you could do it without undue risk, wouldn't

it?

The case is exactly the same with bases. IF you can take 'em, take 'em.
But if you can't, it's better to play for sour grapes and destroy them,
so the enemy can't use them either.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII