Prev: Re: Dumb Questions Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Sand Clouds

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 02:40:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Sand Clouds

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:

>	  Sand Clouds were designed as a counter measure against
primarily
> missiles.  It is also effective against ships rushing in at high
velocities,
> fighters and discourages beams.

I pretty much guessed what you *intended* them for. I had a problem with
the side effects you probably didn't intend to include.

You *intended* to make it a counter *against* rushing ships, ok.
But as the damage (and a lot of it) is determined by relative velocity,
it instead becomes a weapon usable *by* rushing ships -- the logical
conclusion of which is the speed 100000000" cloud hitting an immobile
station.

I also have a problem with area weapons that can be used for enveloping
attacks. Space is 3D whether or not your board is. True 3D envelopment
requires immense resources, unlike the onboard 2D variety.

To give an example, assume I have a 60" wide table. 2D area is 60x60"
and
3D 60x60x60". To send an enveloping sand barrier in 2D takes just 20
casters. In 3D, it takes 400 casters, and even that leaves holes!

Thus, IMHO, any non-guided weapon that can be massed into envelopments
is
a completely absurd idea.

Yes, this includes novas and waves, but thankfully they're too big and
expensive to be used en masse...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Dumb Questions Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII