Prev: Sand Clouds Next: Hitting planets with comets

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 17:17:15 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

At 11:46 AM 5/6/97 -0400, joachim wrote:

>  Anyway, all that said, I do think sand should disperse some time
>after launch - maybe three turns, maybe more.	That would reduce some
>of these problems by allowing the defenders to intercept the attackers
>three turns (or whatever) away from the target and be guaranteed that
>the weapons won't be able to hit.  As for whether the defenders should
>be able to intercept at all, that's a matter for your campaign system
>or your general understanding of how your game universe works to
>decide.  I would recommend, for playability's sake, that you allow it.

	The Sand Cloud would have an initial velocity of at least one
inch
per turn even if the ship firing it was stationary.  This is because the
originating ship's Point of Origin marker is the Sand Clouds intiail PoO
marker as well.  So many Sand Clouds would drift off the board or into
irrelevance.  This also means since the Sand Caster Cloud was designed
bloom that it would be scattering out and at some point would disperse
beyond effectiveness.  It seems quite reasonable to have Sand Clouds
disperse after a certain amount of time.  Three turns seem reasonable.
This
makes Side Arms and Sand Missiles that more important as long range
interceptors.

Phil P.

Prev: Sand Clouds Next: Hitting planets with comets