Prev: Re: Campaign Economics--Real Deal Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: when do fighters move

From: Thomas Corcoran <tomnaro@c...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 22:27:41 -0400
Subject: Re: when do fighters move

Greg Wong wrote:
> In FT, the fighters move after the regular ships move.  Since fighters
don't
> pre-plot movement, they get the benefit of seeing how the regular
ships move
> before they move to intercept.
>
> In MT, there is an optional rule that has the fighter movement phase
moved
> to the point after the regular ships have plotted their moves but
before
> they are actually moved.  This means that the fighters must anticipate
> where the regular ships are going.
>
> I would like to know which rule you prefer?  Which rule is usually
used in
> tournaments and common practice?  Thanks.

Hi,
	I think the later method make the use of fighters a little more
dramatic.
  Here is the complete turn sequence that my group of players adopted.

Turn Sequence:

1)  Write Movement Orders.
2)  Move Asteroids and other fixed-move bodies.
3)  Launch/Move any/all missiles.
4)  Resolve any/all encounters between missiles and chaff.
5)  Launch Fighters.  Place them within 6" of the launch vehicle
(forward arc).
6)  Move any/all fighter groups.  Players alternate moving one fighter
each
    starting with the player with the most fighters in the field.
7)  Resolve ADAF opportunity fire.  That is attacks against any fighter
or missile
    that passes within 6" inches of the ship anywhere along their flight
path.
8)  Declare Dogfights (They may be resolved in this phase as well.)
9)  Move all ships in accordance with written orders.  Ships with
unspecified orders
    cannot turn or change velocity. (But they must still move unless
they have zero
    velocity.)
10) Declare fighter and missile targets.
11) Resolve any remaining ADAF fire against fighters and missiles.
12) Resolve PDAF fire. (Yes, they do the same thing BUT the tactics are
different.)
13) Resolve Fighter attacks.  If the declared target of a group is
destroyed,
    the group may NOT switch targets, however this turn doesn't count
against the
    groups endurance.
14) Resolve missile attacks.
15) Fire any/all ships, players alternating one ship each, starting with
the player
    with the FEWEST ships in play.  (Tactical goes advantage to the
underdog.)
16) Make any remaining unused fighter attacks.

Prev: Re: Campaign Economics--Real Deal Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII