Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Bogey Markers

Re: Campeign Economics

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 21:33:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Campeign Economics

I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember these figures very well (I did
my
Masters' thesis on a similar area). But, without looking anything up,
the
most the U.S. has ever spent on defense (since WW1 anyway) is about
4.5%-5.5% GNP. I believe it was highest during Vietnam (as a % of GNP),
even higher than WW2 (but I may be getting my figures confused). I do
know
that Carter had a higher spending (as a % of GNP) than Reagan did. I
think
that the USSR had something like 8% of GNP going to defense at the
height
of the Cold War. I should have the real figures around somewhere. I'll
see
if I can dig them up.

At 03:35 PM 5/5/97 PDT, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has any records of how much of the economy
>(proportion) was devoted to defense during the following times:
>A. Peace
>B. Cold-War
>C. War.
>
>	 This would be used to determine the levels at which a campeign
would
>start.  For example, if everyone knew trouble was on the horizon, then
they
>would have forces that they could support for a cold war, then get more
>money devoted to a hot war, but would now be buying green troops etc.

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@rahul.net

"Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command,
Security, Surprise, Simplicity"

15SEP16

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Bogey Markers