Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 14:33:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Chun Wang wrote:

> I want to agree that space stations are easily toasted, but the idea
of
> station with weapon is give it chance to survive or at least give the
> enemy some second thoughts before attacking stations.

But they don't. That's the problem. You could have a station with
zillions of guns and screens and armor and it still wouldn't matter if I

could just stop 1" outside your effective range and nibble you to death.

And that's exactly what you can do with missiles: Arrive 60" away from
the
station, conveniently outside the range of all weapons except missiles,
launch, turn away, reload, come back to 60", launch...

The only thing, apart from calling help and surrendering, the station
can
do is to hope he has such a mass of PDAFs that he can drop more missiles

on average than the enemy can launch in one salvo.

Jump point -style FTL does give fortresses a bit more edge, because it
limits the number of possible approaches.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII Next: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII