Prev: RE: Re :FT Mailing List Next: MechaZone 556 Campaign report #1

Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 02:15:45 -0400
Subject: Re: Fw: Weapons for Newtonian based FTIII

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:

>	  Correct, I derived this from the MT book and brought the
damage
> down.  I really dont think that 1D6 per 12 inches of relative velocity
is
> that great.

I checked the book... if you mean "equal to one die beam attack" it
sounds ok. But "1d6 damage" is way too much.

>  The areas of the Sand Clouds are not that large in comparison
> to most game boards.

But a sand cloud is not expended in an attack. A single cloud can
potentially damage the entire enemy formation. Hmmm... taking my 54"
wide table, that's 18 casters to do a complete sweep. Half or quarter
that will give good results for most setups.

Way too cheap to get rid off all the fighters for starters.

And it sounds like a station killer again...

Stations are fun. They provide good scenario ideas. But they're also
extremely vulnerable to any weapons that can be launched outside the
range
of their defensive weapons. This needs very careful balancing -- unless
you're prepared to just scrap all military stations.

>	  I'll have to go back into MT manual for that part.

IMHO, either the penalty should be binary (if the LoF crosses any amount

of cloud, the same penalty applies -- this is the current "official"
system), OR the penalty should based on the length of cloud area
crossed,
not the number of clouds crossed.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Re :FT Mailing List Next: MechaZone 556 Campaign report #1