Prev: Aargh! (off topic) Next: Re: Aargh! (off topic)

Free-Electron Laser Systems

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:14:29 -0400
Subject: Free-Electron Laser Systems

At 12:40 PM 4/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello:
>	I'm got a quick request.  So someone repost the first post about

>the free electron laser.  I need it for a opinion piece for my paper
and
>I'm up against a deadline.  Prompt response would be eternally
appreciated.

>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert
>
>E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		 WWW:
http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
==

Mark,
	The Article apeared in my school newspaper here at the Naval
post
Graduate School in Monterey California.  An Electrical Engineering
student
was working on how to reduce the distance between focusing mirrors for a
Free-Electron Laser from 20 Meters or more to 10 meteres apart.  An
existing
prototype (not here at the school and not incorporating the distance
reduction design) exists and is rated at 100 Million Volts.  The article
says the Prototype can cut through 100 feet of steel in a fraction of a
second.
	The School Newspaper site is http://www.pao.nps.navy.mil

	Please tell me how things work out.
Phil P.

Prev: Aargh! (off topic) Next: Re: Aargh! (off topic)