Prev: *NEWS FLASH!* and traval plans Next: Re: What points systems are worth looking at?

Re: What points systems are worth looking at?

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:02:19 -0400
Subject: Re: What points systems are worth looking at?

At 03:02 AM 4/25/97 GMT, David Brewer wrote:

>I'm going to wilfully misinterpret the statement above, and
>restate it to try to kick the points value thread in a slightly
>different direction.
>
>What relatively good point systems do people know of that could
>provide a useful reference... for writing point systems for our
>beloved GZG games? Or games in general? What have you seen and
>liked (in part if not in whole)?

	I know that there is someone out there who is groaning as they
see
my reply, but tough toodles.
	West End Games Star Wars Miniatures Battles has a well done
point
system game that integrates Heroes, Force Use, Heavy Weapons, Vehicles,
Morale and working linear formulas that allow all of these elements to
be
able to be balanced together.  There are a couple bugs, but the guys at
WEG
did a good job.
Since SWMB uses linear formulas for points, you can introduce new
equipment
from the source books (They provide the conversions in the rules).
	TSR's Battle System does the same thing for ancients and fantasy
miniatures, thus allowing magic, firearms and other issues to come in.
However, their formulas are not linear and so create problems for
introducing new items, etc.
	I like Dirtside II, but have not played enough of it.  However,
given the lack of points systems in SGII, I am leary of buying a copy.
would enjoy playing it if someone in the Bay area of California is
willing
to show me.
	Phil P.

Prev: *NEWS FLASH!* and traval plans Next: Re: What points systems are worth looking at?