Prev: Re: Anti Grav...... Next: Star Blazer II

Re: Anti Grav......

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:52:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Anti Grav......

SNIP
>> First off, I'd just like to point out that Scots ARE "Brits."  What
we
>> AREN'T is English.
>
>As a Welshman, I have to agree with the sentiments here :-)

As another Scot, I do too- until we free (not Wee Free!) ourselves under
the
benificent rule of President Connery...

>I'm not getting in that thing !
>I've heard some worrying things about the effects of strong magnetic
fields
>on the human brain - it seems that they can cause some VERY weird
>subjective experiences.
>
>Hmm, there's a thought - how about some rules that cause human operated
>magrep vehicles to go crazy every so often...

This reminds me of one of my undergrad textbooks, which had a section on
brain waves.  One of the waves, I forget which, is measured on a subject
"with his eyes closed and his mind wandering".	It proceeded to compare
the
similar waves of humans, monkeys, cats and guinea-pigs.  What I want to
know
is HOW DID THEY KNOW THE GUINEA-PIG'S MIND WAS WANDERING???

>> First the Mars rock, then cloning, then the suggestion that there
might be
>> life on Europa. Now anti-grav frogs. Maybe Jon should redo his
timeline in
>> the GZG rulebooks. It may be a little too conservative... :-)
>
>Life on Europa ? Is this the idea that there *could* be a liquid ocean
under
>the ice,
>which *might* be able to support life, is is there any new evidance ?
>
>Alun.

	It's the usual NASA physicists who know almost enough biology to
recognise a tree, but knowing that alien life puts bums on seats, making
bid for a bit of funding.  What they've found is the _possibility_ of a
good
place to look.	It isn't certain, for example, that the "ocean" is other
than occasionally slushy ice, as I can see you realise.

	It would be fun, though, wouldn't it? :-)  I wonder if the
public
would be disappointed in a Europan "black smoker" community? (For
non-biol.
readers, these mainly consist of bacteria, wormy things and a few
shrimps,
independent of sunlight thanks to the output of volcanic vents)

Cheers,
Rob Paul

"Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "An intellectual carrot?  The mind boggles!"
		 -("The Thing from Another World, 1951")
--"

Prev: Re: Anti Grav...... Next: Star Blazer II