Prev: Re: Anti Grav...... Next: Re: Anti Grav......

Re: Another POINTless Argument (was Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and

From: Alex Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 07:02:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Another POINTless Argument (was Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and

... or, if you read the HG list, you'd hear how quite a few of us have
problems with the HG point system, because, depending on role, the
numbers may be completely meaningless.

For instance, if the situation calls for an Iguana to be calling
laser-designated fire in from the Black Mamba 15hexes behind cover,
the point system doesn't cover the difference in effectiveness if the
Iggy's not present.  Likewise, in campeign games, the Misc Value of a
Gear (including `Easy to Modify' which vastly changes
maintainance/repair costs of the vehicle) may be far more important
than the size of its bang-bang; the fact that my Jager/Hunter can be
repaired with $.50 of baling wire and entirely free spit can make a
difference.

Yes, adding more derived stats of one kind or another can give you
more numbers to throw around the table and more stuff to compare.
Taking it to the logical extreme (in a classic reducido ad absurdiam
argument), you end up with the stats used to describe the unit in game
terms as descriptors (because they're the only really meaningful
numbers) and you're right back to doing what I'm doing anyway,
eyeballing the forces with an eye to their actual use and balancing by
situation, not numerics.

I'm not saying that adding some kind of numeric `ranking' is utterly
useless; it provides an extremely sketchy, hazy outline of the `value'
of that force.	My problem is that it does very little /more/ than
that.

Prev: Re: Anti Grav...... Next: Re: Anti Grav......