Prev: RE: Anti Grav...... Next: RE: Anti Grav......

Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and PDAF

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 14:39:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and PDAF

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:
> Yeah, scenarios, umpires and all that... but in practice most of our
> gaming sessions are rather impromptu "let's play X". Without points
> system the only real choice is two identical forces -- and that gets
old
> real quick.

I have to argue this.  You only have to accept identical forces if you
really care about being `perfectly fair' and not having a good game.  As
it says in STARGRUNT, if you have a superior force in numbers or
technology, set up the scenario so that you're at a disadvantage.
Change their motivation.  Decrease their morale for one reason or
another.

Myself, I find using systems without point systems actually /increases/
my enjoyment, because I've actually had some input into what's going on.
There are reasons for the battles, aim, /context/.  That makes all the
difference, win /or/ lose.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: RE: Anti Grav...... Next: RE: Anti Grav......