Prev: Mail-of topic Next: Re: Thoughts on FT

Re: Personalities in SGII

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:18:59 -0400
Subject: Re: Personalities in SGII

At 04:07 PM 4/17/97 MEZ, S.  wrote:
>Actually, I was just thinking about this the other day, because I set
up
>a couple of Stargrunt Star Wars battles (I called this "STARgruntWARS"
and used
>Micromachine figs -- cheap, already painted, and if someone pours a
beer
>on them it won't bother me)....the only thing that seems to be able to
hurt
him is >a lightsaber (Vader bothers to parry Obi-wan's blows, and Luke
hacks
him up
>a bit).  So letting him on the field is to descend immediately into
40kdom,
>where an invulnerable hero is able to slaughter millions of hapless
soldiers
>at no risk to himself.

	There are certain games that accomplish certain events at
specific
levels.  I think that DSII would be very usefull to use to run the
entire
Battle of Hoth using the 6 inch tall walkers and other figures from
Lewis
Galoob's Action Fleet.	DSII is well suited for that.

  However, if you want to incorporate the Force and other elements of
Star
Wars, then play West End Games Star Wars Miniatures Battles.  It is a
very
fast game and an excellent squad to company level game.  It has
vehicles,
squads, creatures and heroes and force using heroes that are well
balanced
and avoid the pitfalls of 40K. Darth Vader's main abilities are to
influence
the battle by encouraging his own squads and frightening his foes.  He
is
not invulnerable and usually has a squad of his own troops around him.
Plus
there are those two soldiers who always escort him...  I think I see
Imperial Guardsmen changing uniforms as required...

	The point is that each game is designed well for a specific
genre
and shoehorning other elements in can be detrimental.  I strongly
recommend
you examine SWMB, you'll like it.

	On a side note, I've developed a Battalion level game from West
End
Games Assault on Hoth that uses the same Galoob figures and it runs very
quickly using sequence cards.  It is not however a simulation, but well
balanced.

Phil P.

Prev: Mail-of topic Next: Re: Thoughts on FT