Prev: Re: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust

RE: Ramming.(off list)

From: k.g.mclean@c... (Kevin Mc Lean.)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 20:24:49 -0400
Subject: RE: Ramming.(off list)

Hi Rob,
	re:

>And HMS Dreadnought sank a U-boat by ramming!	Also, the DD, HMS
Glowworm,
>ramming the CA Hipper, and suicide attacks such as Jervis Bay v. Adm.
>Scheer, Rawalpindi v. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, a DD escorting
Glorious v.
>S & G all show that suicide attacks are perhaps more common than we'd
tend
>to think.  However, while I agree that a larger vessel is more likely
>attempt a ram, I'd rationalise that a clear enough size advantage to
>encourage ramming will be a greater incentive to avoid being rammed,
and
>will also be associated with an advantage in terminal maneuvre by the
>smaller ship, so there's no reason to make ramming easier.
>
>I rather like the "single heroic ship" idea posted here- it avoids a
>ram-fest at the end of every battle, while still allowing some
"wide-screen"
>over the top behaviour.

I tend to agree, Rob, I think there's really only one 'nutter' in most
fleets that likely enough to try a 'suicide' ram, and even then it's
only
under certain circumstances...

Regards,

Kevin.

PS. you might like a post on the list I sent a little while ago about
'survivable' rams versus 'suicide' rams.

Kevin Mc Lean.
STEPS Co-ordinator/CLC Tutor.
Central Queensland University.
Mackay Campus.
Ph  (079) 407416.
Fax (079) 407407.

Prev: Re: Thoughts on FT Next: Re: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust