Prev: Replenishing expended weapons. Next: RE: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust

Borrowed ideas.

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 14:35:13 -0400
Subject: Borrowed ideas.

At 01:07 PM 4/9/97 -0400, Mike Miserendino wrote:

>  If anything, the
>idea was borrowed, then I would look at it as a complement to the
original
>creator, not a rip-off.  Many times in my industry, I have seen other
>software developers try to duplicate products\technologies that we were
>first to introduce.  I take this as a compliment and it shows that we
are
>innovators as well as making something people obviously want.

  In some cultures the copying of an idea is considered the ultimate
compliment, in the United States we call it intellectual property
infringement...
  Phil P.

  GDW has had a long history of borrowing elements from SF literature
for
its traveller universe.  I can say no doubt there were a lot of elements
taken from the CoDo/Mote universe.  Again there is no real legal
challenge
here, in the long run it encouraged books sales, no harm, no foul.
  By the Way Jon, Jerry likes the "Full Thrust" underwear...
Phil P.

Prev: Replenishing expended weapons. Next: RE: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust