Prev: Re: Real Space Combat Help: Next: Re: Gorn ship for SFB

Re: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust

From: Rick Rutherford <rickr@s...>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:33:40 -0400
Subject: Re: Paint Schemes for Full Thrust

> On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Nezach wrote:
>	What are your painting phlosophies for your ships?

The thing I keep in mind when I'm painting a starship model is the need
for contrast. If you think about it, the difference in color between the
shadows & highlights on a starship hull in space will be stark --
after all, there's no atmosphere to disperse the starlight when it hits
the hull, so the transition from light to dark will be very sharp.

One thing I like to do is to find every little bump that's sticking up
from the model and paint them with bright silver or gold. I find that
the
metallic highlights make them look more like futuristic starships and
less like airplanes in space.

>	Do you do the matte grey "Star Wars" thing, or do you go for the

> Narn "Zebra on drugs" paint scheme or a variation on both?

I started with grey, using white for highlights and black for the
shadows
in the creases, and I still like it a lot. I usually choose one overall
color for the whole ship, and then vary the tones somewhat. I also
like using blue and red for base coats.

> Do you even bother painting the minis you play with (eather too eager
> to play or *gasp* don't like to paint)

I'd never play with unpainted figures!

> Are elaborate CNS fleet markings complete with ship numbers your thing

Nope. I can't see myself painting 1/2400 scale ship numbers.

> Do you think ships would even be painted or that it would make a
> difference what the color of a cruser is when you are firing on it
from
> half a light minute away?

Sure they'd be painted -- one of the best ways to find trouble spots
on the outside of a starship's hull would be to look for the places
where
the paint has been damaged/discolored.

--
Rick Rutherford ----- rickr@digex.net ----- The above opinions are mine.
"I've seen collisions on fire off the side of the ethernet LAN.

All these things will be lost in time, like dropped packets. Time to
die."

Prev: Re: Real Space Combat Help: Next: Re: Gorn ship for SFB