Prev: Re: Tech Levels in FT/MT Next: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

Re: Fast speeds

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 14:17:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Fast speeds

Rick Rutherford writes:

@:) I find it hard to believe that computers, radar, fire-control, and
@:) all the futuristic high-tech sensors and scanners will make
@:) everything easy for the crew of a starship. After all, have
@:) computers really made your life any easier? :)

  I can tell you for certain they've made my life a living hell, but
then computers are my job.  I can't really speak for starship crews
but I can say that high-tech sensors and computers have made life a
lot easier for military people already.  Radar-aimed guns would
perhaps be the low-tech equivalent of some of the futuristic weapons
found in FT.  They tell you how far away the target is, then they aim
themselves, wait till the target is in optimal range, fire at the
target, track the bullet (!), figure out whether the bullet hit the
target or not, adjust their aim, and fire again.  All this while you
decide whether or not to put jalepenos on your sandwich.  Sure beats
that other war when you had to actually pull the trigger.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Tech Levels in FT/MT Next: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas