Prev: Re: Fast speeds Next: Re: FT PBeM: The Deneb Clash

Re: Expanding Shields

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 11:26:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Expanding Shields

You wrote:
>Well, you made me re-read the beginning of _Mote_, so now you can go
>re-read the end. ^_^  "[MacArthur] was 500 meters inward from [the
>collapsing Langston Field]."  OK, it's more like the late middle...
>regardless, you could easily fit other cap ships inside the field
>radius, which means they'd be able to fire on the generating ship
*very*
>easily....

 That was with the Motie expanding shield.  MacArthur became a larger
target
because of the size of its sheild.  From what Niven has told me, the
Langston Field expanded only when heated, although the Moties I'm sure
were
looking for ways to do it normally.

Prev: Re: Fast speeds Next: Re: FT PBeM: The Deneb Clash