Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Expanding Shields

Putting Teeth into Mines

From: pepourne@n... (Phillip E. Pournelle)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:44:05 -0500
Subject: Putting Teeth into Mines

Hello,
  I think that mines can be cost effective if they conduct 3d6 beam
attacks.
However Mines must also be able to remain hidden, with sensor roles
required
 to find them.	I know this means a referee will be required but...
  This would mean that cloaked ships could effectively use mines,
particularly
 if they drop an entire rack in a cluster.
  For campeigns, if you want to maintain a mine field, you better
maintain
a mine tender in the area.  Each Mine Tender can maitain only so many
mines
 and requires a certain number of points for replacement mines.
  I've used mines missiles that become mines and fighters carrying mines
very
 effectively to localize cloaked ships.  These are the equivelant to
 sono-buoys, although cloaked ships don't like them since their shields
 are down...  They also become usefull against reflective shields...
   Mines are also effective against the wirling dervish tactics of the
Kravak players I've played against.
Phil P.

Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Expanding Shields