Prev: Re: Armour + Screens Combined Next: Re: Capital vs. others Debate

Mines

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:49:15 -0500
Subject: Mines

Apparently, I _could_ be fashed after all.

For a single mine, the current damage probabilities
on unshielded and heavily-shielded ships are:
Mine	     No shields   Level-3 shields
Damage
0		9/36	      25/36
1	       12/36	      10/36
2	       10/36	       1/36
3		4/36	       0/36
4		1/36	       0/36

The probability that a ship will escape ANY damage from
 a given mine's attack is 25% for unshielded ships and
just over 69% for Level-3 shields!

A Superdreadnought can therefore lumber straight through
 most practicable minefields, presumably making a derisive
snorting noise as it does so.

Mines as they stand are utterly useless.  In addition to
1d6 damage, I'd suggest they should ignore shields, so that
they give even the big ships pause for thought, and make
mineweepers more attractive.

cheers
Rob Paul

"Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"
--"

Prev: Re: Armour + Screens Combined Next: Re: Capital vs. others Debate