Prev: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]

Re: Maximizing ship designs

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 06:01:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Maximizing ship designs

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Mike Wikan wrote:
> absorbed games. $20-30 bucks every year or so for a GZG product is
> hardly an opressive figure, especially considering the "bang" you get
> for the buck.

Didn't I make my message clear enough? It's NOT about coughing up $20 a
year for NEW stuff. It's about coughing the $2 a year for the Official
Timeline(tm) I already have in three different books!

I don't mind paying for stuff I get. I *do* mind paying for stuff I
don't
want. I don't throw dollar bills into trash just because I can afford
to.

It's about rule:bs ratio.

In the good old days, games were mostly rules, let's say 90:10.
These days, games are sold on nifty background and have very little
rules, mostly lifted from somewhere else. 10:90.

Thus, if there are major rules revisions, 90% of the money I spend
updating a typical modern game goes toward buying the same background
bullshit I already own.

GZG products do have a very good ratio, especially in these days.

The upcoming Fleet Book will probably be more along the modern lines,
10%
rules and 90% ships I could have designed myself and Official
Background(tm) I'm still not going to use. Fine. I'll just not buy that
particular book.

*But* if the FB was the *only* source for some rule updates, I would
be... annoyed.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Historical DD's and torpedos - was Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]