Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Missles?

Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 15:48:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long)

>Mikko Kurki-Suonio writes:
>@:) On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
>@:)
>@:) > Do many people allow ships to move on headings other than those
>@:) > which are integer multiples of 30 degrees?
>@:)
>@:) Well, I'd allow it IF you write it in your orders. Otherwise it's
>@:) too easy to cheat: "Yes, I was really going to turn just 1
>@:) degree..."
>
>  My group has never come up with a good answer for this.  Some of us
>line our ships up with the carpet-grain and some of us just let them
>point whichever way they point.  Note that the random facing problem
>gets much worse on a carpet (compared to a table).

Inherently, the rules assume 30 degree (1 point) turn increments,
because
much of the game hinges on the written movement orders - so they need to
be
as clear as possible. Of course, there is nothing to stop you modifying
it
to write, say, "20 degree turn", "45 degree turn" instead if you want
to,
but it will change the game somewhat. In the (proposed) vector rules, of
course, ships will usually NOT be moving exactly on one of the 12
courses,
though for ease of play we have stated that they must FACE one of the 12
points.

>@:) >	 I don't think odd masses are not allowed....
>@:)
>@:) Check out the FAQ at http://www.geohex.com/faq1.htm
>
>  That's a strage FAQ, especially since Jon himself seems to think
>differently on this question.	Weird.

The is nothing in the rules to say odd masses are NOT allowed, but I
(personally) never bothered to use them - guess I just didn't outthink
the
maximisers well enough.. :)

Jon (GZG).

Prev: Re: Capital vs. others Debate Next: Re: Missles?