Prev: DSII Questions for Jon.. Next: Re: Maximizing ship designs

Re: What is FT? (was:Big vs Small ships...)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 05:37:47 -0500
Subject: Re: What is FT? (was:Big vs Small ships...)

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Ground Zero Games wrote:

> I vill only say zis vunce......
>
> FT is not modern naval warfare.
> FT is not WWII naval warfare.
> FT is not even pre-Dreadnought Ironclad warfare (though bits of it are
> probably closer to this that anything else...)
>
> FT is SCIENCE FICTION space warfare.

Well, yes it is. But as FT lacks anything resembling a campaign economic
system (I'm not saying this is a serious shortcoming), some people, Phil
Pournelle most notably, started using historical data to back their
arguments in the recent debate.

When faced with such arguments, there are two approaches to replies:

1) To discredit the entire line of thinking. Yours.
2) To question a particular argument and present more historical data on

the subject. Mine.

As long as FT lacks the economic system, it *might* be based on some
semi-relevant historical example. Thus I consider this discussion valid.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: DSII Questions for Jon.. Next: Re: Maximizing ship designs