Prev: Re: Missles? Next: Boston 'burbs?

Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:19:20 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] Missile Ideas

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, <Mark Andrew Siefert> wrote:

>	I don't know.  Beams must be have a direct line of sight to a
> target in order to work.  Missiles are a little more flexiable.  Jon's

> rules recognize the fact that missiles are more manuverable than a
stream
> of sub-atomic particles.

I really don't see what that had to do with the number of dice rolls.

>	Immune to *DAFs?

They pretty much already are... and:

>   You mean no matter how hard I try to shoot
> down an incoming missile I'm still missile bait?  That doesn't make
the
> current situation better.  It kinda puts us back at square one.

Nope, that's why the damage is much less.

>	How about spend more mass and/or points cost to purchase extra
> missile ammo?

You can just buy more missiles. Maybe launcher 3pts/1mass and each
missile 3/1... it would give missile ships more endurance without
endangering saturation attacks... but it would make submunition packs
much less worthwhile.

>	Why?  A warhead strength is usually "fixed" no matter how far
> away a target is.  Beam weapon damage potential is dependent on the
> range, how much energy to pump into the weapon, and other factors.

Why? Because high damage *is* the problem with missiles. IMHO, they need

to be put on a more equal level with submunition packs (which are
considered, I quote: "one-shot packs of short range, unguided 'scatter'
missiles" (FT, p.18)) and that's how subpacks already work. Why add
mechanics when existing ones work just fine?

And *DAF can't shoot subpacks down either.

>	ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH....I've always hated these specialty
> missiles.  EMP missiles I can buy, but neddle missiles?

They already exist. You don't have to use them, though.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Missles? Next: Boston 'burbs?