Prev: Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long) Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]

Re: Bigger--not always better

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 11:13:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Bigger--not always better

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Hopefully it'll be possible to balance weapons by changing the costs
> alone - after all, that's the basis for a descriptive design system!

I'd prefer mass/space/whatever limitations on the side. I generally
don't
like systems where you can just plunk down money (i.e. points) and get
anything, like a man-portable 16" cannon.

> The native English-speakers will undoubtedly correct me, but I've
always
> interpreted "screwed up" as something very similar to "gone straight
> hell" rather than simply "changed"...

Maybe I should have said "skewed" instead...

> No. My designs usually have mid-range weapons, and I _am_ going
> to notice that you don't fire back when I keep the range open (and
> against a new opponent, I will be fairly cautious) so I keep keeping
the
> range open, and blast you to pieces :)

Hmmm... that would work, because in FT no weapon is better at long range

than short.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Oops and Re: Damn the torpedoes and others (long) Next: Re: Missile Balance [for Jon]