Prev: Re: Sensor Rules Next: Re: "Harpoon in Space"

Re: FW: Bigger--not always better

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:16:56 -0500
Subject: Re: FW: Bigger--not always better

At 04:45 PM 3/31/97 +0000, you wrote:
>	 One of our players got around that by building a fleet of
capital
>ships and throwing together pitiful little courier ships--one for each
>capital ship.

Well, you can get around THAT by awarding victory points for ships
destroyed, not mass of ships destroyed.

Or you can require that for every capital ship you must have X cruisers
and/or Y escorts. So if half the fleet is made up of capital ships, you
would require the same number of cruisers. If you carry this all the way
through, you can even require that each capital ship requires one
cruiser,
and each cruiser requires one escort. Change the ratio as per whatever
type
of battle you want to play that day. A 1:2:3 ratio puts a lot of smaller
and
medium size ships on the table. The Battle of Tsushima, as a
pre-dreadnought
historical example, was at a ratio of about 1:1:3 (or thereabouts; I
can't
remember how many torpedo boats actually took place).

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Sensor Rules Next: Re: "Harpoon in Space"