Prev: Re: FW: Bigger--not always better Next: Re: Sensor Rules

Re: Maximizing ship designs

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792@o...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:46:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Maximizing ship designs

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:

> Slaan@aol.com writes:
>
> @:) It is interesting to me that ship optimization vice specific
> @:) designs is an issue.  My first step in analyzing FT was to
> @:) determine what "missions" were required, and then design ships to
> @:) fulfill that mission role.
>
>   I guess the question is whether you needed to bother.  What if you
> just plunked down a bunch of mass 36, thrust 7 cruisers with 6 3-arc A
> batteries each (cost 312 - thrust 3 gives cost 240)?	Would they be
> able to destroy your opponents intricately complicated multi-ship-type
> fleet?  If so, optimization is a problem.
>
> -joachim

The only problem I have with the design above is that it is boring.
There
is very little maneuver from such a fleet.  Oh sure, they turn and move
and such - But with three arcs on all their weapons there is no real
need
other than range.  I have found that limiting the arcs on a weapon
increase the amount of maneuver during a game dramatically.  That kind
of
change might encourage the "multi-ship" fleet, each having its own job.
Just a thought.

Chad Taylor

Prev: Re: FW: Bigger--not always better Next: Re: Sensor Rules