Prev: FW: campaigns Next: FW: campaigns

Re: FW: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: James Butler <JAMESBUTLER@w...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:19:32 -0500
Subject: Re: FW: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

At 08:33 PM 3/28/97 +0000, you wrote:

>If such a system where translated to the computer some really fun
Mega-campaigns could open up
> where a few folks playing the campaign by email over the computer
could
hook up with a few gaming
>groups playing FT on the table. The table folks would play out the FT
battles and report the results
> back to the campaign folks.
>
>Paul

	I've played in campaigns like that before. One set of players
moves
the units on the strategic/operational level and makes that level of
decision making and another set of players plays out the battles. The
problem that occured in our games was that one set of tactical players
was
just much much better than the other set and they only played their
original
respective sides. No matter the numeric advantage the strategic guys
gave
their tactical boys, they just themselves blown away. Every battle gave
the
other side a greater and greater material advantage and that was all she
wrote.

	While I'm telling "bad campaign stories":

	There were two Star Fleet Battles campaigns (I won't duck, I
enjoyed
SFB even with its flaws, I just find FT better) that collapsed because
of
early defeats to one side. In one tactical tournament campaign, a player
surrendered his ship to me and they need to cost the defeat for point
purposes and asked me if I destroyed his ship or captured it. Naturally
said I captured it. When they tallied up points it was revealed that
that
player no longer had a chance to win the tournament campaign and he quit
on
the spot which threw everything into chaos because they had carefully
paired
everyone up and figured other people would quit as time wore on.

	A second campaign collapsed when we circumvented enemy (Kzinti)
forces by sending a Lyran fleet through the Lyran-Klingon neutral zone
attack an undefended Kzinti starbase from behind. We took out the
starbase
and our forces on the front were able to hold a gap in the line long
enough
for us to link up with them and fall back to Lyran space. We had
suffered
very few casualties and gutted the Kzinti's defenses. They (the entire
side)
immediately quit.

	Has anyone else experienced this? It seems to be the way a lot
of
our old board games went as well--one big battle involving most of both
sides' forces and whoever lost quit.

	James
----

		___
	       |[|]|
	       |[|]|
	      /|[|]|\	_______  __	//    //
      _ _   /==|[|]|==\(_______)/  \__[__]__[__]__MMMMMMMMMM\
     [_|_|\%%===[|]====(_______)|  |===================HHHHHH\
     [_|_| %%===[|]====(_______)|  |=X=X=X==X=X=X======HHHHHHH]
     [_|_|/
					    }C=K@
      Main    Bridge/	   Fuel/      Weapons/	   Scanners/
      Drive   Quarters	Jump Drive  Ship's Boats Spinal Mount

	Battlecruiser INTREPID, CORMORANT-class
	Captain James L. Butler III, Commanding
	JAMESBUTLER@worldnet.att.net

Prev: FW: campaigns Next: FW: campaigns