Prev: New Irregular fighters Next: Re: GZG questions

Re: Ship Model Sizes

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 03:17:54 -0500
Subject: Re: Ship Model Sizes

>Would someone out there give me a go-by on basic ship classes and model
>sizes?
>
>I have been reading Star Wars RPG.  In 1/2400 scale, an Imperial Star
>Cruiser would be about 67 cm long!?  About the only model I have in
that
>genre is a Corellian Corvette at about 6.3 cm from Micro Machines
(Rebel
>Blockade Runner??).
>
>I would appreciate any help on this subject.
>

>Bobby Mock

It is really all just relative; the nominal "1/2400" mentioned for the
FT
line is based on the assumption that an FT fighter is about the size of
large modern jet fighter, and that of course assumes that the fighters
are
in scale with the other ships, which they aren't really...:). [The
fighters
should be smaller still, but we wouldn't be able to cast 'em!].
With the FT ships, escorts are around 1-1.5" long, cruisers around 2"
and
capitals 3"+ - but of course this varies with the designs of different
fleets.
You really have to make a "value judgement" based on the appearance of a
given model relative to the other models in your fleet. Put alongside an
"official" FT metal mini, the MM blockade runner would be a largish
cruiser
or small capital, but on its own could represent anything you like, from
scoutship upwards.
If you are wanting to take a fleet along to game with other people than
your immediate group (eg: at a convention) then it is probably
reasonable
to keep your ship classes somewhere near the "official" mini sizes so
that
other players are not confused by you claiming something is a battleship
when it is the size of one of their frigates!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: New Irregular fighters Next: Re: GZG questions