Prev: Re: Star Blazers FT Next: Re: Bigger not always better--Take 2

RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: "George,Eugene M" <Eugene.M.George@k...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:58:44 -0500
Subject: RE: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

Definately, a 'real life' campaign would be tough to win without
tenders, tugs, merchant shipping, and revenue boats... Often these
aren't the optimum force mix for rules lawyers or power gamers. I really
prefer the full spectrum of ship designs, a low-down gritty combat
between small, relatively inefficently (from a points-optimization
standpoint) designed ships is my speed. Especially if it has a
believable scenario backing it up, and/or a place in a grand campaign.
Why do all ships necessarily have to be  optimum. Take a look at the
appraisals in Janes Ships of the World regarding some classes. Quite a
few ships in it are described as old, obsolete, undergunned,
underpowered. Many navies maintained near hulks on their rolls for
decades.... Maybe that class of Superdreadnought carries so damned many
'A' batteries in order to ensure that 50% of it's guns will actually be
functional. Maybe the superdestroyer with the 3 arc 'A' battery is so
cramped and prone to malfunction that only a few were made, and crews
that serve on them are rotated so frequently (due to fatigue, radiation
burns, general morale loss) that no ship ever really attains 'crack'
status. The problem is convincing those with a mind that 'points are
points' that scenarios using 'real' ships are worthwhile. A refereed
campaign game can give rewards to players with a convincing realistic
'angle' on ship design, much like rewarding clever players in
role-playing games.

Just some thoughts...

Gene

Rosso