Prev: Re: Wave Gun II Next: Re: Star Blazers FT

Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:34:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Capital Ships in Campeign Games

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Phillip E. Pournelle wrote:

> I would love to play in a campeign against a player who ties up all
his
> forces into capital ships.  My Destoyer squadron raids will keep him
from
> ever destroying my fleet, or expanding his territory...

That depends very heavily on campaign objectives. It may be a viable
tactic to just split his forces on X most important targets and wait for

you, just to give you a simple example.

And after an inconclusive battle, his BBs go to repair docks while you
go
to shipyards for new DDs...

I'm all for balanced fleets. But some situations can reward unbalanced
ones, and a "gamesman" will pick the fleet that suits the given
parameters best, not caring that in real life it would have to fill half

a dozen other mission profiles.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Wave Gun II Next: Re: Star Blazers FT