Prev: Re: Damn the torpedoes Next: Re: Bigger not always better--Take 2

Big Guns

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:08:24 -0500
Subject: Big Guns

At 09:55 PM 3/25/97 -0800, Paul Calvi wrote:
 Even with modern fire control a BB would have a heck of a time hitting
a DD
with its main guns (pick any historical battle).
  Historically BBs were very distructive when they were in range to make
their attacks.	When German Battle Cruisers engaged British
Dreadnaughts,
they were very effective.  The same occured when Japanese Battleships
engaged British and Dutch ships in the Eastern Pacific.  This is why
Yamoto
wanted to use his Battleships to destroy the American Task forces once
his
carriers neutralized the American Carriers.  The trouble was he was not
able
to get his BBs into position.  Had he, the outcome of the war in the
Pacific
may have been very different...
  Torpedoes are very deadly but so is a battlewagon with heavy guns,
even
today the Russians have some very accurate and heavy guns on their
ships.
We can assume in the B5 universe that weapons direction systems are
pretty
effective and so I'm not sure that adding size vs. targeting rules to
the
game gains us anything except confustion.
  I have often destroyed large battlewagons with Destroyer squadrons,
because I'm very mobile and have a lot smaller infrastructure cost for
each
ship.
  Phil P.

Prev: Re: Damn the torpedoes Next: Re: Bigger not always better--Take 2