Prev: Re: Sa'vasku Clones Next: Re: Dirtside II

Re: Nuclear Pumped Laser Missiles

From: "Christopher Weuve" <caw@w...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 08:54:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Nuclear Pumped Laser Missiles

Mike Miserendino wrote:
> Well if we can today use modern technology to fly a missile into
> someone's back door, it should be possible to carry this out in the
> future.  Also, these mere missiles are quite huge in FT - mass 2.
Some
> of that internal volume would likely carry powerful sensors able to do

> the job.

Others have commented on the differences between search and terminal
attack
sensors.  In addition, the missile that Mike describes, TLAM-C (Tomahawk
Land
Attack Missile -- Conventional), uses digitized satellite imagery and a
radar
altimeter to attack _stationary_ targets.  In other words, you program
in a
course and tell it to follow it, which it does with extreme precision.
The
only version of Tomahawk designed to hit moving targets, the Tomahawk
Anti-
Ship Missile (TASM), uses a different terminal guidance system entirely.

Of course, this has nothing to do with _future_ capabilities, but as far
as
present capabilities go, the analogy doesn't necessarily hold.

-- Chris Weuve	 [My opinions, not my employer's.]
------
mailto:caw@wizard.net (h)		World Wide Weuvesite --
mailto:caw@intercon.com (w)		http://www.wizard.net/~caw
mailto:chrisweuve@usa.net (perm)

Prev: Re: Sa'vasku Clones Next: Re: Dirtside II