Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac Next: RE: Word wrapping

Re: Vector movement

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:39:38 -0500
Subject: Re: Vector movement

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> It is far more difficult to figure out where you're going to end up
with
> the "old" FT rules, and (at least for me :/ ) neigh on impossible to
get
> to where I want to be <g>

Not really. Your turning radius is roughly r = 2v/p, where v is your
velocity and p is the points you put into turning.

Correcting mistakes under FT system is easier: You can always "slam
brakes and hard turn" whereas a ship under Newtonian movement must
first spin to correct facing before they really do anything about
anything. Depending on the amount of spinning allowed, this might take
over a turn, essentially giving you a "moving target" to shoot for.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac Next: RE: Word wrapping