Prev: Re: Converting Sa'Vasku models... Next: Word wrapping

Re: Space Ship Minis Wish List; Ideas for Eldar

From: "Kevin W. Schwabe" <schwave@t...>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:26:30 -0500
Subject: Re: Space Ship Minis Wish List; Ideas for Eldar

I noticed that Mark Siefert's comments about GW's Space Fleet line
brought a number of responses about the less than stellar availability
of the mini's.	If anyone's interested, I've made conversions for
Wraithships with distortion cannon, wave field projector (inspired by
the epic Wave Serpent).  The models are fairly easy to make.  For the
D-cannon (I call it a Warpwraith), just graft the laser cannon off of an
epic Nightwing (incidently, these make excellent light cruisers if you
don't put the laser cannon on), to the underside of the wraithship's
nose and you have a new ship.  For the wave field projector (Wavewaith)
I took the wave field projector turret from the Wave Serpent, removed
the projector from the turret and placed it on the front top of the
wraithship attached to the front sail.

The stats: (I play this with a group that runs a number of games, so I
don't get a lot of play with FT.  If anyone has any feedback, I'd love
to hear from you).

Wave Field Projector:
	Mass: 15
	Cost: 140

	Rules:	The wave field fires in a fixed forward arc (straight
ahead like
nova cannon or wave gun).  It covers the entire front arc of the ship
and protects it from all normal fire.  Area effect weapons like the nove
cannon still affect the carrying ship normaly.	The wave effect begins
small and increases if it is allowed to charge up.  The field is
synchronized to allow fire out though, but this protection only exists
when the wave is charging, not on turns when it fires.	To fire there
must be orders and the ship is not allowed to make any course or speed
changes.
	The wave begins as 2" wide, and increases by 2" each turn up to
maximum of 6" (note that this width is only applicable when the wave is
actually fired, when being "charged  up", it only protects the
Wavewraith)  When the wave is fired it travels 3d6+18".  For the first
1/3 of the distance traveled it does 3d6 damage, the next 1/3, does 2d6
damage, and for the last 1/3, does d6 damage.  This ignores sheilds and
armor.	Ships that are hit are moved to the outside of the effect area
(this will literally clear a path) and are positioned in a random
facing.  Ships whose base stands are within 1/2" will collide on a d6
roll of 5+ as per ram rules.  Ships pushed into a gravity well are
considered to have made an accidental reentry and have a +1 modifier to
their roll.  Also as they are trying to get their bearings back any
ships with remaining movement are not allowed to move that turn and all
ships start the next turn with a velocity of 0.  Fighters and missiles
hit by the wave are automatically destroyed (I highly recommend a limit
on the number of ships that can field this weapon)

D-cannon:
	Mass: 10
	Cost: 35

	Rules:	The D Cannon has a 36" range, and an area of effect of
1".  At
a range of up to 12", it will hit on a roll of 4+, at 12-24" a roll of
5+, and will hit on a 6 at a range of 24-36".  The shot will deviate on
a miss. (GW scatter dice are useful for determining this).  At a range
of 0-12" the effect will deviate d4", at 12-24", it deviates d6", and at
24-36" it deviates d8".  The damage caused varies.  Since shields negate
much of the effect in Epic and 40K, I've kept it the same in space.
Ships with sheilds take d6 points of damage, while ships that are
unsheilded or armored take 3d6 points of damage.

One other idea, since Eldar ships are powered by solar sails (I have
some rules in the works for these) instead of normal thrust engines, I
allow them to fire through their rear arc like FT I.

Sooner or later when I get all of the bugs worked out of my Imperial and
Eldar ships I'll post them here or on the web if I'm ever able to get my
own site.  Hope to hear from somebody on these.

Prev: Re: Converting Sa'Vasku models... Next: Word wrapping