Prev: RE: Space Ship Minis Wish List Next: Vector Based FT III

Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:30:57 -0500
Subject: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:

[I'm chopping heavily in the interest of brevity]

> second choice I would settle for an elegant non-vector movement system
that
> replicated the TV show.

Would you have settled for the "almost correct" version RL:Interceptor
and Aerotech use?

> I think the "works in its own reality" is key.  If that reality is
well-
> crafted, and thought through ahead of time, then it works.  Too often,
though,
> the reality appears to come after the game.

I fully agree. Too many games have flawed internal logic, but still most

of our simulationist critics never get beyond the "elves don't exist"
stage.

> I find it somehow revealing that those whom I consider to be some of
the best
> SF designers (such as Chadwick, Miller, and Costikyan) also have a
substantial
> historical game design credits as well.

...and some demerits too. Chadwick's Ironclad & Ether Flyers is an
interesting game and has good background info, but "battleship"
simulates
naval warfare of the era just about as well. Volley & Bayonet is a
constant source of argument with the Nappy crowd (then again, they seem
like a very argumentative crowd anyhow...).

> Even some of the Games Workshop staff
> have wargame backgrounds -- Jervis Johnson, for example, is an old
> _Stalingrad_ player.

It's funny how they went into designing the "roll 6 to kill" games they
criticized way back in the 70's and early 80's...

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Space Ship Minis Wish List Next: Vector Based FT III