Prev: Re: Stamp Out Ignorance Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:07:52 -0500
Subject: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.970315185041.30272A-100000@swob.dna.fi> Mikko
Kurki-Suonio writes:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Christopher Weuve wrote:
>
> > a miniatures game, though, it is intended for play on a hex map, and
the hex
> > map distorts the movement.
>
> Well... it does. While I agree, I think in essence you're saying EVERY
> tactical hex-based space game is fundamentally flawed.
>
> I don't know the rules, but is there any reason why hexes MUST be
used?
> Nothing's easier than dumping the map, one hex == 1 inch (or whatever)
and
> 1 hexside turn == UP TO 60 degrees turn.

At the risk of starting (me, again, yes, I know) the trans-atlantic
slanging match (and for reference, I'm referring to your continent,
not your nation) there seems something very American about hex-grids.

Battletech, Heavy Gear, Silent Death, SFB, Ogre, Star Warriors (what
have I missed?)... It seems like no confident SF wargame can emerge
that isn't hex-gridded. It would've been a remarkable exception if B5
Wars had bucked that trend. Even plenty of RPG's suggest heavily that
combat should take place hex-to-hex.

Presumably B5 Wars will retail with some garish hex-grid sheets with
cyan and magenta nebulae for that special Babylon 5 bright-
midsummer's-night-of-space feel...

> > While bad enough in itself, this will potentially become intolerable

> >when the
> > ship design system is introduced, for two reasons.
>
> Are you sure there's going to BE a ship design system? Design and
point
> systems are typically the first ones to go when the game has to be
> "streamlined".

But the expansions... the expansions...

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: Stamp Out Ignorance Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)